About Me

I'm an artist based in South Yorkshire and currently studying on a textiles Masters course for which my main areas of research have been in making figurative sculptures out of natural fibres which I manipulate into forms using felting techniques. Although felt is commonly used in craft, I use it in a non-traditional way to create life size soft sculptures.

The series of soft sculptures that I've produced as part of the MA have potential to fit in to a variety of art based contexts and I’m in negotiations with galleries, museums and high-end boutique hotels that have a strong emphasis on the appreciation of art and nature.

As well as developing my own practice I’m enthusiastic about developing more skills that can be applied to industry and I’m looking for opportunities for work experience in helping with workshops, props and puppetry making.

Email: katie@katiehardyart.co.uk

FORTHCOMING EXHIBITIONS INCLUDE:
CLIFTON PARK MUSEUM, Rotherham (13/4/09)
UNIVERSITY CENTRE, Barnsley 11 June
ROTHERHAM LIBRARY, Rotherham (28/9/09)
HUDDERSFIELD UNIVERSITY (10/1/11)

Monday 6 December 2010

White Stag


I’ve been working on the life size ‘White Stag’ sculpture for just over three months. It’s made out of natural fibres and I exploit the various natural colours of the fibres to create depth and shading. I also use various felting techniques to create tectured surface. My interest in the natural history of our country led me to a depiction of a red deer as a prototype for the practice I’m developing. The red deer is native to Britain and has an amazingly interesting history of conservation imposed by various Kings through the ages and as a result their habitat was preserved and has since been turned into reserves. The deer also have a history in gated parks and estates often kept as a status symbol and for hunting purposes by the wealthy landowners. I always try to capture the character and spirit of the animal, the red deer’s connections with royalty and lords throughout the ages inspired me to create quite a majestic looking character.

No comments:

Post a Comment